2 0 0 2
|Chapter 4 - Interior|
|Storage compartments in center console||52|
|Spare tire, Cargo net in trunk||53|
|Folding rear seat backrests, Carrying long loads||54|
Electrically operated front seats
From the time the driver's door is unlocked, the driver's seat can be adjusted
with the ignition off during a 10 minute period, if
the door remains opened. If the door is
closed, the seat can be adjusted for 40 seconds.
1 - Power seat control panel
2 - Lumbar support
Turn the control for softer or firmer lumbar support.
Move the seat as far rearward as possible for easiest access to the lumbar support control.
Electrically operated seats with memory function *
A Front edge of seat (raise/lower)
B Forward - rearward
C Rear edge of seat (raise/lower)
D Backrest tilt
Programming the memory
Three seat positions can be programmed. To program a seat position:
1 Adjust the seat to the desired position.
2 Hold down the MEM button.
3 While holding down the MEM button, press button 1 to program the current position of the seat.
Buttons 2 and 3 can be programmed in the same way.
To move the seat to a programmed position, press and hold down button 1, 2 or 3 until the seat moves to the preset position and stops.
As a safety precaution, the seat will stop automatically if the button is released before the seat has reached the programmed position.
NOTE: The seat has an overload protector which engages if an object blocks the movement of the seat. If this happens, remove the object and wait 20 seconds before operating the seat again.
* Only the driver's seat is equipped with the memory function.
Electrically operated seats - general information
Adjusting the front seats:
Passengers's seat: The passenger's seat can only be adjusted if the ignition key is in position I or II (see page 48).
Driver's seat: The driver's seat can be adjusted if the ignition key is
in position I or II (see page 48). However, it can also be adjusted:
· Within 40 seconds after the ignition has been switched off (even if the key has been removed from the ignition switch).
· Within 40 seconds after the driver's door has been unlocked with the key or remote control and opened. The key does not have to be in the ignition switch during this period.
Remote keyless entry system and driver's seat
The remote control transmitter also controls the electrically operated driver's seat in the following way:
Folding passenger's seat backrest
The passenger seat backrest can be folded down to the horizontal position for carrying long loads. To fold down the backrest:
· Move the seat as far rearward as possible
· Adjust the backrest tilt to the most upright position
· Lift the catches on the lower rear side of the backrest
· Without releasing the catches, push the backrest forward
· Move the seat as far forward as possible
Cover sharp edges on the load to help prevent injury to occupants. Secure the load to help prevent shifting during sudden stops.
Use the coat hanger for clothes of normal weight.
The courtesy light can be turned on or off by pressing the button. The light also has a
timer function which turns the light on for 30
· You unlock the car from the outside with the key or remote control.
· You switch off the ignition (turn the key to position 0).
The courtesy light stays on for 10 minutes if one of the doors is left open after the car is unlocked.
The courtesy light switches off if:
· The engine is started.
· The car is locked from the outside with the key or remote control.
The interior courtesy light can be switched on or off at any time by pressing the center button in the panel above the rearview mirror. When switched on with the engine off, the light will stay on for 10 minutes. When switched on with the engine running, the light will stay on indefinitely.The light may be switched off at any time by pressing the center button a second time.
The courtesy light timer periods can be changed.Consult your Volvo retailer.
Overriding the Interior and Trunk Courtesy Lights
Normally if a car door is left open with the engine turned off, the interior courtesy light will stay on for 10 minutes. Normally, if the trunk is left open with the engine turned off, the trunk courtesy lights will stay on for 10 minutes.
If a car door is left open or the interior courtesy lights are turned on while the engine is left running, the interior courtesy lights will stay on indefinitely. Likewise, if the trunk is left open while the engine is running, the trunk courtesy light will stay on indefinitely.
At times, you may wish to be assured that the courtesy lights will stay off regardless of door or trunk lid position.
To switch off the interior and trunk courtesy lights indefinitely, press and hold the center button in the panel above the rearview mirror for 3 seconds.The courtesy lights will go off and remain off until the center button is pressed again.
Reading lights - front/rear
The reading lights can be switched on or off by pressing the respective buttons. These
lights are designed to switch off automatically
after 10 minutes or can be switched off at any
time by pressing the button.
Packages on the rear window shelf can obscure vision and may become dangerous
projectiles in the event of a sudden stop or an accident.
Storage compartment in center console/cup holders
· Press button A to pop open the cup holder.
· Press button B to open the storage space in the center console for cassettes, change holder, etc.
Carry long loads
The center backrest cushion folds forward, allowing you to transport long, light cargo such as skis in the trunk of your car. To lower the backrest:
· Pull the right release control handle in the trunk to release the backrest (see page 54).
· From the rear seat, fold down the right section of the backrest slightly *.
· Release the flap by pushing the catch (located on the rear side of the backrest) upward and pulling the flap forward.
· Return the backrest to the upright position.
* If your car is equipped with the optional integrated child booster cushion, this cushion must be folded down before you fold down the backrest (see page 13).
The spare tire, jack and tool bag are located under the floor of the trunk. To access the
· Raise the rear edge of the floor of the
trunk and fold it back toward the rear seat backrest.
· Lift out the trunk floor support (certain models) from the spare tire securing bracket.
· Release the strap to lift out the jack and tool bag.
· Unscrew the securing bracket and lift out the spare tire.
· To return the spare tire to the trunk, follow the reverse procedure.
Make sure that the spare tire, jack and tool bag are properly secured with the securing bracket and strap to help keep these components in place in the event of a sudden stop.
NOTE: See page 92 for information on how the jack should be used.
Cargo net in the trunk
The cargo net in the trunk can be used to secure light objects.Pull the net out and slide the runner in the handle down into one of the two slots provided at the rear edge of the trunk. Use the release tab to release tension on the net while it is being placed around an object. Be sure the net is then pulled taut around the object.
The net can be retracted when not in use.
NOTE: If you have purchased the accessory plastic floor cover for the trunk, it may be necessary to cut notches in the rear edge of this cover so that the runner on the cargo net can be securely pressed into the slots provided.
Never use this net to secure sharp or heavy objects. In such cases, tie down the
object using the cargo eyelets provided. Both rear seat backrests should be secured in
the upright position when the cargo net is in use.
Folding rear seat backrest The rear seat backrest is split into two sections. Each section can be folded independently to allow you to transport long objects.
To fold down the backrest(s):
· Pull the release control handle(s) in the trunk to release the backrest(s) (see illustration above). If the outboard rear head restraints are folded down, they should be returned to the upright position before folding the backrest down. It may be necessary to manually adjust the center head restraint.
· Fold the backrest down.